★★
Joker = Taxi Driver + King of Comedy + Death Wish
Joker 2 = Titicut Follies + Moulin Rouge + Lady Gaga & Beyoncé's "Telephone" music video
To be honest, this is just as good as the first movie, which is bad.
I looked away in embarrassment for over half of the run time. Every time Joker started singing I wanted to throw up. Shoutout to the Honorable Judge Martin Scorsese presiding during the court scene. Harvey Dent's actor was definitely British and doing an American accent, calling it now before I look it up---this is no shade by the way; he was still great. I actually didn't hate the ending, except, you know, the guy was doing too much. Still, Joker dialogue is always bad and embarrassing to me, yet bizarrely endearing like a picture of yourself from when you did your own makeup for a middle school dance. Gaga was amazing.
This is also Andrea and my big screen debut (we were in the park across the street while the NYC court scenes were filmed), but we sadly got killed offscreen in the courthouse bombing, and our deaths were only briefly mentioned (on the police car radio) for the dedicated fans.
Despite everything, I thought the was fun (sometimes), and not just because I was in it. I would rather be waterboarded for around 10-15 seconds, possibly up to thirty, than ever watch this again, so don't ask me to stand by this review. I'm never ever touching this movie for the remainder of my whole life because even though I think I liked it, it makes me nauseous and queasy with secondhand embarrassment to think about.
But some parts I really genuinely liked. The costume design was excellent, everyone acted their ass off, and the cinematography was quite nice (if everyone involved was embarrassingly trying very hard; which, effort is a beautiful thing...). Huge big weird terrible movie… I think I liked it regardless, but I can't be sure, and I don't want to watch again to try to figure it out.
No comments:
Post a Comment