Wednesday, October 8, 2025

Joker (2019) (Rewatched March 26, 2023)

★★★ 

To be honest, I liked it a lot more on this rewatch. Joaquin Phoenix was really doing something even though the dialogue was horrible and embarrassing and the first hour and twenty minutes are just him having one (several) bad day (decades). He is just so weird and freaky and his physicality is straight up awesome; you wouldn’t get it.

Plus I like that it has Death Wish (1974) influences, even though I hated that movie. And Taxi Driver, but the Taxi Driver similarities are also bad because they just remind you how much better Joker would be if it was as stylish as Taxi Driver. NYC in the 70s in film can be horrific, vile, nasty, and sleazy but also moody and jazzy and cool… Gotham in Joker just sucks and is excruciatingly not fun to exist in as a setting.

But since the last thirty minutes were so insane, I cannot wait for the Lady Gaga Harley Quinn musical, I’m so serious (as a current undergrad at Little Monsters University). I hope it’s just them having fun.

Read my article about Joker 2 for the Associated Press here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Joker: Folie à Deux (2024) (Watched October 4, 2024)

★★ Joker = Taxi Driver + King of Comedy + Death Wish Joker 2  =  Titicut Follies + Moulin Rouge + Lady Gaga & Beyoncé's "T...